Saturday, June 16, 2007

For the old man

Warning: Boring post ahead

When i was four or five or...when i was tall enough, i can't remember. But what i remember was one morning, while i was having my routine wee wee after just waking up, my dad came to me and he said:" son, you don't have to sit and pee anymore, we as men, can stand up while urinating." And he taught me how to pee standing up. He guided and instructed me and after that ive been peeing standing upright ever since.

Probably around the same time, i used to follow things my older sis did all the time. One of them was keeping long finger nails. And one day when my father saw how long my nails were, he told me that i had better cut them short or risk being labelled as a sissy girl.

Peeing standing up and having short finger nails are things men do. But those things do not define a man. These things can be taught. To be a man, a young, impressionable boy has to be in the presence of real men. Lucky for me i have a very manly dad. And the best dad around as cliched as that sounds.

Dad is the most responsible being on the face of this earth. He does everything that is obliged for him to do without ever complaining. He pays for those bills bills bills and more bills by working his ass off nearly 12 hours a day and has been doing so for half an eternity. Why does he do this? Work his ass off day and night and get more white hair, while he can just bum at home or play golf or go to a club and pick up a young gold digger. That's cause he knows a thing or two about being responsible.

Dad is also the most ethical person on earth. He has a strong sense of right and wrong. When it comes to those damn summons, obeying the law on those tinted car windows, or making moolah, he is always looking to do it the most lawful and respectable way. Unlike me with my damn summon chucked in my glove compartment for half a year or so. And yes, it is faded.

Dad is also the most rational person on earth which makes him very the boring also. All the decisions that he makes are the most rational and the most conventional. Well, at least in his eyes. This is not necessarily a good thing because instead of saving all those moolah by making the most rational decision that the depreciation rate of cars are damn high, well, poor me cause i don't get a sports car. He is not the least bit extravagant or showwy as he knows better.

You won't believe this but dad has never touched a ciggerette in his life. By touch i mean puff. And he avoids alcohol at all cost. I dare say in my whole life i have never once seen him drink anything remotely alcoholic. He finds entertainment and joy in spending time with his family. He also enjoys(well, i assume) fixing things and building things DIY style around the house.

Sounds like the most boring human being on earth huh? On the contrary. I see him as passionate about making life for his family a comfortable one. I see him as determined to one day see his children become successful business people. I see him as being the best damn example for a child. Who not only supplies the family with all the necessities, but also advice, comfort and love.

No comments: